Pasta with Garlic and Olive Oil (Alio E Olio)
This pasta with garlic and olive oil dish is full of fresh and bold flavors with sweet undertones of caramelized garlic.
- 6 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 4 tablespoon minced fresh garlic about 8 cloves, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup minced fresh Italian parsley
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 pound cooked spaghetti with ½ cup cooking liquid reserved
Cook spaghetti according to the directions on the package. Drain, reserving ½ cup of the cooking liquid, and return spaghetti to cooking pot.
While cooking spaghetti, cook 3 tablespoons olive oil, 3 tablespoons garlic and ½ teaspoon salt in a non-stick skillet over low heat for about 10 minutes. The garlic will foam and turn golden brown.
In a small bowl stir together the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, remaining 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic, parsley, lemon juice, red pepper and 2 tablespoons reserved pasta cooking liquid. Stir mixture into spaghetti.
Stir cooked garlic into spaghetti and toss together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add remaining reserved cooking liquid to thin the sauce to desired consistency. Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese to taste.